Players wear full protective equipment like hockey players, but use a unique stick and face mask. Ringette players wear long pants and a padded ringette girdle instead of short pants and socks like hockey players (although hockey pants and socks are allowed).
Goalies use regular hockey goalie equipment but use a unique catching glove.
The following is required equipment:
- CSA-approved helmet (with valid expiry date)
- CSA-approved face shield or ringette cage (not a hockey cage)
- BNQ-approved neck guard (with bib for goalies)
- Shoulder pads or chest protector
- Elbow pads
- Hockey or ringette gloves
- Shin pads with knee guards
- Ringette girdle*
- Ringette pants*
- Hockey skates
- Mouthguard (recommended)
- Practice jersey (player's choice)
* Hockey pants, socks and jock/jill can be substituted for ringette girdle and pants.
Most equipment can be found at most new or used sports-equipment stores that sell hockey gear. Hockey gear is sold on the North Shore at Sportchek at Park Royal, Time Out Source for Sports on lower Mountain Highway, Larry's Sports on Lonsdale, and Canadian Tire. Used gear can be found at North Shore Sport Swap. Especially for new players, a broken-in pair of second-hand skates can be a good option.
Ringette-specific gear can sometimes be hard to find, and no stores on the North Shore carry ringette-specific equipment or sticks. Stores in Greater Vancouver known to carry ringette gear include Max-Performance Sports at 107-223 West Broadway near MEC (NWVRA players get a 10% discount on ringette gear at Max-Performance), The Hockey Shop Source for Sports in central Surrey, and Cyclone Taylor (various locations).
Illustrations by Ringette BC.
NWVRA Uniform Requirements
- Uniforms (jerseys and/or pants) are to be worn for games/tournaments only, not for practices.
- No application of anything else to the uniform except for the surname badge which is to be sewn on only (do not glue!). Your name badge is to be removed before handing it in to your Team Manager at the end of the season.
- Uniforms (jerseys and pants) are to be washed inside out in cool water, no bleach and hung to dry. Do not dry in a dryer, as this will melt the decals.
- All uniforms are to be handed in to the manager clean, washed, looking and smelling good!*
- The best way to keep the jersey from being damaged is to store it in a different pocket in your child's equipment bag, away from the skates.
* Keep your gear from getting stinky by taking everything out of your bag and drying it between games and practices!